Angela Denoke, 2009, Opera Singer, Credit Johan Persson, ArenaPal, www.arenapal.com

Angela Denoke (soprano) was born in Stade near Hamburg in Germany, and studied at the Hochschule für Musik und Theater in Hamburg. Voted “Singer of the Year” by Opernwelt in 1999, she is closely associated with the Vienna State Opera and the Deutsche Staatsoper Berlin. She has sung the role of Marie/Marietta in Korngold’s “Die tote Stadt” on numerous occasions.
The following interview with her was conducted by Troy Dixon and was first posted in February 2007.

Q: What made you want to become a singer / why did you decide to study music and become a professional musician?
At first I studied music education with a major in piano at the Hochschule für Musik und Theater in Hamburg and intended to become a teacher. I often sang in choruses where I was asked to do solo work as well and discovered that my vocal studies were becoming more important for me. As a result, in my second year I decided to change my major to vocal studies entirely.

Zunächst habe ich an der Hochschule für Musik und Theater in Hamburg Schulmusik mit dem Hauptfach Klavier studiert, weil ich Lehrerin werden wollte. Ich habe aber schon vorher in Chören gesungen und bin auch hin und wieder solistisch aufgetreten, sodass der Gesangsunterricht während meines Studiums immer wichtiger für mich wurde. Deshalb bewarb ich mich nach einiger Zeit auch für den Studiengang Gesang, für den ich im zweiten Anlauf dann aufgenommen wurde.

Q: Had you heard any of Korngold’s music prior to your performances in “Die tote Stadt”? How were you first introduced to Korngold’s music?
During my studies, I often heard other students singing Korngold songs but never sang any of them myself. It wasn’t until my first professional engagement in Ulm That I first heard the opera sung by another colleague. As part of a supplementary program offered by the theater, I sang the aria from DAS WUNDER DER HELIANE and my interest in Korngold’s music began.

Schon während des Studiums hatte ich Lieder von Korngold gehört, aber nicht selber gesungen. Meine erste intensivere Begegnung mit der Musik Korngolds hatte ich während meines ersten Engagements in Ulm, wo DIE TOTE STADT aufgeführt wurde. Die Marietta sang dort eine Kollegin von mir und ich sang in einer Art Rahmenprogramm die Arie aus DAS WUNDER DER HELIANE.

Q: You were involved in both the Strasbourg production of “Die tote Stadt”, and the Salzburg Festival 2004 production (which toured other locations after the festival). Did you personally enjoy one production more than the other and why?
The Salzburg production was in most respects the more satisfying for me. In the intervening years I had improved my singing to the point that the role of Marietta was much easier to sing. It remains however one of the most vocally challenging roles I sing. I was also able to discover more nuances in the part and found Willi Decker’s production better suited to my strengths as an actress. 
Die Produktion in Salzburg war für mich in mehrfacher Hinsicht befriedigender: sängerisch habe ich mich in den Jahren dazwischen sicherlich verbessert, so dass mir die Partie leichter fiel, trotzdem bleibt es eine sehr anspruchsvolle Partie. Durch das zweite Studium der Partie konnte ich mehr Nuancen der Partie für mich entdecken und ausserdem war die Inszenierung von Willi Decker schlüssiger für mich und insbesondere mehr auf meine Stärken zugeschnitten.

Q: Do you feel you performed better in one production more than the other, and in what way or ways?
For the above reasons I felt much freer in the Salzburg production. As luck would have it, I was suffering from a strong head cold at the time of the DVD recording in Strasbourg and was naturally not completely satisfied with the final result. This may have colored my impression of the production as well.
Aus den eben genannten Gründen glaube ich auch, dass ich viel freier in der Partie war und deshalb auch sicher besser in der Salzburger Produktion. Als die DVD in Strasbourg aufgenommen wurde, war ich ausserdem stark erkältet, so dass ich nicht ganz glücklich mit dieser Aufnahme bin, weil meine sängerischen Möglichkeiten eingeschränkt waren. Vielleicht spielt das bei meiner Betrachtung auch eine Rolle. 

Q: There have been many reviews of Strasbourg production in which the sets and staging are described as deplorable, despite the wonderful musical performances. What are your feelings about the production?
I cannot say that I disliked the production in Strasbourg. Inga Levant had a completely different approach to the piece which she took very seriously. The work with her was very intense. This does not mean however that it should please everyone. There will always be those who take issue with a particular production, and so it should be.
Ich kann nicht sagen, dass die ich die Inszenierung nicht mochte. Inga Levant hatte einen ganz eigenen Zugang zu der Oper und sie sehr ernst genommen, die Arbeit mit ihr war sehr intensiv – trotzdem muss es nicht jedem gefallen. Aber das trifft auf jede Inszenierung zu: es wird immer jemanden geben, der sich von einer Inszenierung nicht angesprochen fühlt.

Q: One reviewer of the Salzburg production commented that he felt the staging – particularly the “stage within a stage” during the dialogue sequence between Paul and Marie just before the dream sequence of Act 2 – was predictable and therefore unimaginative. Audience members enjoyed the changing angles of the floor and ceiling set-pieces during the dream sequence. What were your impressions about the staging of Salzburg?
It was the clarity of Decker’s production that impressed me the most. The dual role of Marietta/Marie has many facets: the dead wife who appears in Paul’s dream, the “real” Marietta and the “nightmare” Marietta. He made the transitions between these characters easier for me. The interesting thing about role of Paul is the psychological: what is real, what is a dream, and what are his real wishes and fears (nightmares). By the use of the “stage within a stage” it was easier for the audience to follow these shifting states of Paul’s conscience and still have the freedom to decide for themselves which was real and which was fantasy.
Mir hat gerade die Klarheit dieser Inszenierung besonders gut gefallen. Die Partie der Marietta/Marie birgt ja viele Facetten: die verstorbene Frau, die in Pauls Traum erscheint, die “wirkliche” Marietta und die “Albtraum”-Marietta. Die Übergänge von einer in eine andere dieser Personen sind zudem fliessend. Der interessante Aspekt der Figur des Pauls ist doch psychologisch: was ist Realität, was ist Traum und was ist Wunschtraum oder Albtraum. Durch die deutlichen Übergänge in der Inszenierung kann man der psychologischen Deutung als Zuschauer folgen und ist trotzdem noch frei in der eigenen Deutung dessen, was man sieht.

Q: How do you find singing the Marietta/Marie role in “Die tote Stadt”? Challenging? Enjoying? “Rewarding”, as the old joke about Korngold’s father went?
Actually all of the above! What other part offers so many acting and vocal challenges from the lyric to the dramatic? It was also “rewarding” for me because of my success with the role. My father was also pleased with the results!
Eigentlich alle Attribute treffen zu. Die Partie ist und bleibt eine sängerische und darstellerische Herausforderung die, wenn man sie annimmt und für sich löst wirklich viel Freude macht, denn in welchen Opern hat man sonst so viele Facetten zu spielen und gesangstechnisch so unterschiedliche Schwierigkeiten zu lösen (von lyrisch bis hochdramatisch ist alles vorhanden)?! Und lohnend war es für mich auch, weil sehr erfolgreich…

Q: The famous diva Maria Jeritza (who was perhaps the most famous pre-war Marietta) once confided to Brendan Carroll that Korngold had told her that the part was not a “double role” but in fact a triple part! Korngold felt that the soprano must be the simple young dancer Marietta, the dead wife Marie and also the lascivious Marietta as she appears in Paul’s dream. Do you agree and if so, how do you try to bring this to your interpretation?
Yes, I agree completely! In each of these roles there must be a different approach vocally and dramatically. The dead wife is more lyrical and soft, practically a mother-figure. The dancer Marietta lives through her confident, animated physicality and coquettish vocal colors while the Nightmare-Mariette is animalistic with wild transitions from soft to dramatic vocal lines.
Natürlich stimme ich dem zu! In jeder dieser Rolle muss man darstellerisch und sängerisch Unterschiede herausarbeiten: die verstorbene Marie muss denke ich lyrisch und zärtlich aber auch mütterlich gesungen und gespielt werden, die Tänzerin Marietta lebt von der körperlichen Beweglichkeit und der koketten Stimmfärbung, aber auch von Selbstsicherheit in Stimme und Körper, während die Marietta in Pauls Albtraum fast animalische Züge annehmen kann und in der Stimme von zärtlich bis wild und dramatisch alles bieten sollte

Q: Moreover, how far do you think this is reflected in modern productions?

Once again, I found the Willi Decker’s solution to these problems especially good for me. The Strasbourg production didn’t offer such a stark contrast between these facets of the character Marietta/Marie, but then it began from a different standpoint. I remember very little from the production in Ulm except that it was also a totally different view of the piece, and the only other production was a Götz Friedrich TV production which was also totally different, but that is the mark of a great piece!
Noch einmal: ich fand die Lösungen von Willi Decker wirklich gut. In Strasbourg fand ich die Unterschiede der Marietta/Marie nicht so deutlich herausgearbeitet, aber die Inszenierung hatte auch einen anderen Ansatz. An die Ulmer Inzenierung erinnere ich mich nur noch undeutlich und ansonsten habe ich nur noch die Inszenierung von Götz Friedrich im Fernsehen gesehen.

Q: You’ve performed this opera in two different productions, but opposite the same Paul (Torsten Kerl), and in several different opera houses throughout Europe. How do you enjoy performing with Mr. Kerl time after time?
It is always a pleasure to work with colleagues you know well and already have some idea how they will react with you on stage. Thorsten and I have a good rapport together on stage and this made the work much easier for me.
Es ist immer schön, mit einem Kollegen zusammenzuarbeiten, den man schon etwas besser kennt und weiss, wie er möglicherweise auf der Bühne reagieren wird. Da Thorsten und ich uns gut verstehen, ist die Arbeit mit ihm leicht und angenehm.

Q: Has the partnership changed from the first rehearsals for the Strasbourg production to the last performances of the production from the Salzburg Festival 2004?
I would not say this. We became more comfortable working together over the two productions and our reactions on stage became much more spontaneous and natural which would improve any production.
Ich würde nicht sagen, dass sich die Zusammenarbeit sehr verändert hat, wir lernten uns nur etwas besser kennen, so dass wir später spontaner aufeinander reagieren konnten. Das kommt einer Inszenierung natürlich zugute.

Q: On perhaps a lighter note, one of the central icons in Korngold’s opera is Marie’s hair, represented by the braid of hair. Donald Runnicles cleverly emphasized this icon by making Marietta bald in the dream sequence. How did this aspect of the Salzburg production appeal to you? (Did you actually shave your hair for the production?)
It was the designer’s (Wolfgang Gussmann) idea as well as Mr. Decker’s to give Marietta a bald head in the nightmare scenes. It was a good idea as it forced me to move differently on stage and freed me to play more with the evil side of this character. It was a very warm summer in Salzburg, and I actually toyed with the idea of cutting off my hair but finally couldn’t imagine doing the concerts I was engaged to sing immediately following the production looking like a nightmare!
Es war die Idee von Wolfgang Gussmann (Bühnen-und Kostümbildner der Produktion) und Willi Decker, Marietta im Albtraum glatzköpfig erscheinen zu lassen. Für meine Darstellung auf der Bühne hat es mir gute Impulse gegeben, denn man bewegt sich ohne Haar ganz anders, für mich war es eine Freiheit, die Bosheit der Albtraumfigur voll auszuspielen. In Salzburg hatte ich mit dem Gedanken gespielt, mir tatsächlich den Kopf zu rasieren – es war sehr warm in der Zeit – konnte es aber leider nicht machen, weil ich anschliessend Konzerte zu singen hatte und ich mir das ohne Haare schlecht vorstellen konnte.

Q: Having performed in one of Korngold’s opera, are you interested in performing in any of his other opera? Or, if you perform recitals, are you interested in performing some of Korngold’s many lieder someday?
I must take the time to learn more about the other operas Korngold composed to see if there is another role for me among them. Normally these things are proposed by other opera houses as new productions, and perhaps after the success of DIE TOTE STADT there is greater interest in these operas. I certainly hope so! For future Liederabend programs I have already decided to include some of the songs.
Ich müsste mich mehr mit den Opern Korngolds beschäftigen, um herauszufinden, welche Rolle für mich geeignet wäre. Normalerweise kommen aber die Angebote für neue Produktionen von den Opernhäusern – vielleicht ist nach den Erfolgen für DIE TOTE STADT jetzt auch ein Interesse für andere Werke von Korngold erwacht? Es wäre zu wünschen. Bei meinen Liederabendprogrammen habe ich schon daran gedacht, Lieder von Korngold aufzuführen.

Q: Do you think more of Korngold’s operas should be performed, or perhaps performed more regularly?

I certainly hope so!

Es wäre zu wünschen.

Originally posted February 2007 — reformatted March 2012I