The new recording from Chandos and others

Reviews,comments,suggestions on Korngold's discography

Moderator: fireatheart

German Korngold Friend

The new recording from Chandos and others

Post by German Korngold Friend » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:29 pm

Hello,
does anybody know someting about the new release of a korngold score from chandos? I guess, it would be "Robin Hood", because Rumon Gamba conducted it in september in a concert with the Island Symphony Orchestra. If it's true, I' don't think that it doesn't makes sense for the repertoire:
Bill Stromberg records it last year and it exist more scores from Korngold, which hasn't been released (Deception, Of Human Bondage etc.)

The Korngold Friend from Germany
Brendan Carroll

Korngold's CHANDOS recording

Post by Brendan Carroll » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:32 am

I can confirm that the BBC Philharmonic has recorded the complete score of THE SEA WOLF which is a world premiere, together with the published SUITE from ROBIN HOOD. This project (which I instigated) is the first of several Korngold recordings and it will be released in Summer 2005.

As soon as more precise details are to hand, (CD number, exact release date) I will post them

BRENDAN G CARROLL

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:43 pm

Dear Mr. Carroll,
when you have instigated the project recording the complete score of "The Sea Wolf"...maybe you know something about the following releases of the several CD's....

Regards

German Korngold Friend

Another hint for another Korngold-Friends in Germany:
Benjamin Schmid a. o. and others will play the Suite for piano left hand etc. at the Schönberg Festival Ruhr. (Sat., 2005-02-19).

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:14 pm

The new recording is available from 2005-09-12.

Release Date for CD

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:43 pm

According to Amazon, the new Sea Wolf CD is coming out on October 18.

On another note, speaking of Robin Hood recordings, does anyone else out there feel the Marco Polo recording is a little dry acoustic-wise? The textures come off rather leanly in comparison with Korngold's typical, organ-like orchestral sound.
tjguitar
Regular visitor

Post by tjguitar » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:21 am

Has Chandos recorded any more Korngold this year?
brendan g carroll
Regular visitor

CHANDOS KORNGOLD (latest CD)

Post by brendan g carroll » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:24 am

The BBC Philharmonic Orchestra has recorded an extended suite (80 minutes) from THE SEA HAWK conducted by Rumon Gamba, which will be released on CHANDOS during Summer 2007, just as soon as I have written the booklet notes.
tjguitar
Regular visitor

Re: CHANDOS KORNGOLD (latest CD)

Post by tjguitar » Sun May 20, 2007 6:49 pm

brendan g carroll wrote:The BBC Philharmonic Orchestra has recorded an extended suite (80 minutes) from THE SEA HAWK conducted by Rumon Gamba, which will be released on CHANDOS during Summer 2007, just as soon as I have written the booklet notes.
Interesting, seems odd that they would put this up against the NAXOS reocrding.

I wonder why they didn't opt to do shorter suites for more films?
brendan g carroll
Regular visitor

SEA HAWK

Post by brendan g carroll » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:20 pm

We do not need shorter suites from the films.

As I have said elsewhere on this board...Korngold's scores are not suited to this kind of treatment.

I agree the timing (vis a vis Naxos) is not ideal but I can recall a time when the idea of TWO Sea Hawk albums being released within months of each other would have seemed miraculous.

So please be grateful and let us hope such exposure will lead toa complete SEA HAWK being performed in the concert hall.
fireatheart
Regular visitor

Re: SEA HAWK

Post by fireatheart » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:19 am

brendan g carroll wrote:We do not need shorter suites from the films.

As I have said elsewhere on this board...Korngold's scores are not suited to this kind of treatment.

So please be grateful and let us hope such exposure will lead toa complete SEA HAWK being performed in the concert hall.
Couldn't agree with you more on both points, Mr Carroll.

I would most certainly travel anywhere in the world for complete (or even simply "extended") performance of "Sea Hawk".

I recently travelled to Rotterdam for what ended up being... a 12 mn (?) performance of "Sea Hawk": very frustrating.

It was litterally (for me) over before it started! (Not really litterally! It just felt that way.)

Did anyone else from here attend that concert?
Last edited by fireatheart on Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tjguitar
Regular visitor

Post by tjguitar » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:26 pm

Any more Korngold to come from Chandos?