CELLO CONCERTO opus 37 ( due January 2022)

Reviews,comments,suggestions on Korngold's discography

Moderator: fireatheart

brendan g carroll
Regular visitor

CELLO CONCERTO opus 37 ( due January 2022)

Post by brendan g carroll » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:42 pm

Korngold Cello Concerto with works by Bruch, Bloch & Ravel on an interesting new CD from cellist Edgar Moreau & the Luzerner Sinfonieorchester cond.Michael Sanderling. Released by Erato - January 2022!

Ernest Bloch : From Jewish Life

a.. 01 I Prayer Andante Moderato
b.. 02 II Supplication
c.. 03 III Jewish Song

Eich Wolfgang Korngold : Cello Concerto In C Major Op 37

a.. 04 I Allegro Moderato Ma Con Fuoco
b.. 05 II Grave - Lento
c.. 06 III Allegro Moderato

Max Bruch :

a.. 07 Kol Nidrei Op 47

Ernest Bloch : Schelomo Rhapsodie Hébraïque For Cello And Orchestra

a.. 08 I Lento Moderato
b.. 09 II Allegro Moderato
c.. 10 III Andante Moderato

Maurice Ravel : 2 Mélodies Hébraïques M A 22

a.. 11 No 1 Kaddish
b.. 12 No 2 L'Énigme Éternelle
Schelomo & Jewish Life

FROM THE PRESS RELEASE (just recieved)

Cellist Edgar Moreau plays Jewish concert music in his new album "Transmission"

"I think it's very interesting for the audience to hear new things," Edgar Moreau is convinced of this. The headstrong young cellist remains true to this claim with his new album "Transmission".

Translated, the title means something like 'transmission', 'inheritance'. And with this recording Edgar Moreau releases a repertoire of which he sees himself as a sincere mediator, namely works influenced by Jewish culture and way of life.

The son of a Jewish mother who grew up in Jerusalem, Edgar Moreau calls himself, in his own words, "Jewish, but not a bit religious."

And so the selection of works includes a number of unconventional compositions, including Ernest Bloch's neoclassical work "Shelomo - Hebrew Rhapsody", with which the composer captures the 'Hebrew spirit' of the music in oriental timbres.

The violoncello takes on the part of King Solomon (Hebrew : Schelomo HaMele'h), while the orchestra musically paints the narrative. But the non-Jewish composer Maurice Ravel is also represented with his "Deux mélodies hébraïques".

He set the prayer "Kaddish" and other Jewish melodies to music out of fascination with the foreign religion.
The Lucerne Symphony Orchestra under Michael Sanderling accompanies the cellist, about whom the French daily newspaper "La Provence" wrote: "This exceptional talent belongs to the family of the greatest artists of all time".