Naxos-Release "The Sea Hawk"

Reviews,comments,suggestions on Korngold's discography

Moderator: fireatheart

Rathbone
Regular visitor

Naxos-Release "The Sea Hawk"

Post by Rathbone » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:49 pm

Does anybody know something about the releasing date of the Sea-Hawk-Recording by Morgan/ Stromberg?
brendan g carroll
Regular visitor

Sea Hawk

Post by brendan g carroll » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:52 pm

I believe it is scheduled for a Christmas release.
tjguitar
Regular visitor

Post by tjguitar » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:55 am

John Morgan talked about it at FSM:

From http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p ... &forumID=1
The final editing has gone a bit slower than anticipated. There are a few little things we want to address before we put this to bed. Bill and I have been busy with other things, so that is partly the reason for the longer-than-usual delay. Since Naxos won't even schedule a release date until they have all the materials in their hands, my guess is it will be 2007 before we get this out.
Jimmy
Regular visitor

Post by Jimmy » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:26 pm

I'm highly anticipating the release of this =) Does anyone know if it's just going to be several CDs or DVD-Audio as well? I would probably melt if I heard the Sea Hawk Opening titles in 5.1 :lol:
Rathbone
Regular visitor

Deception and "The Sea Hawk"

Post by Rathbone » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:04 pm

Naxos will release a new Korngold-recording this year. the double-cd includes the complete scores of "The sea hawk" and "Deception.
Jimmy
Regular visitor

Post by Jimmy » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:13 pm

No DVD-Audio? If so thats a real shame, I'll still pick up the CD though.
Rathbone
Regular visitor

Post by Rathbone » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:24 am

I had a look on the homepage of www.naxos.com. There is no information about the sea hawk release. Neither in april nor in may.

Does anybody know, what has happened?
An Anonymous Musician
Regular visitor

The Conspicuous Absence of the Album’s Release in March

Post by An Anonymous Musician » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:54 pm

I’m just as befuddled about the circumstances surrounding the release of the CD as you, Rathbone. Whatever may be happening, there is obviously some difficulty regarding the release of the CD which all those involved in the album’s production are having a difficult time surmounting: The CD was originally supposed to be released late last year, right? It was originally slated for a release around the Christmas holiday, but the date was pushed forward, and it now seems the deadline has been extended yet again.
Rathbone
Regular visitor

Post by Rathbone » Sun May 13, 2007 8:54 am

The new recording "The Sea Hawk"/ "Deception" conducted by William Stromberg are announced to be released in june. (Have a look at www.naxos.com/ upcoming releases).
brendan g carroll
Regular visitor

CD

Post by brendan g carroll » Mon May 14, 2007 4:54 pm

Many thanks for that - I thought it would never come out! :roll:
S. BRENNAN

SEA HAWK-NAXOS RELEASE

Post by S. BRENNAN » Thu May 17, 2007 9:18 pm

THERE ARE A FEW ON-LINE CD STORES HAVE 29/05/07 AS THE RELEASE DATE
Best Wishes

STEVE BRENNAN
tjguitar
Regular visitor

Post by tjguitar » Sun May 20, 2007 10:05 pm

May 29th on Amazon UK, no listing yet on Amazon.com
fireatheart
Regular visitor

Post by fireatheart » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:26 am

Has been released now for a few days. I expect to receive mine in a few days.

Considering I already have several versions of SEA HAWK (including the extra long from Tsunami), I'm wondering if I can expect anything truly worthwile from the Sea Hawk portion.

As for the DECEPTION section, I "obviously" have (and know by heart) the longer version of the Cello Concerto, and have 3'25" from the rest (from the Warner 2CD set), which leaves me with less than 20' of "truly unknown" music.

That'll be some pretty expensive 20', if you ask me. :lol:

How about you guys?
brendan g carroll
Regular visitor

SEA HAWK

Post by brendan g carroll » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:14 pm

Once again I am compelled to write some admonishing remarks here, which pains me greatly, because this is a site for Korngold supporters after all.

I am sorry if the complete SEA HAWK on Naxos appears expensive at about 14 dollars and 'not worth it'...but I can assure you that the work it took to produce was worth every penny.

Quite apart from the 24 page booklet which gives the most comprehensive information on the film and the score ever published, John Morgan has done a beautiful job in restoring the original orchestration and Bill Stromberg has conducted a very fine performance, presenting this masterpiece of film music as it was intended ....COMPLETE! It is an instant collectors' item and should be in every Korngold fan's collection.

As I have tried to say repeatedly over 30 years now, Korngold's great film scores are meant to be heard as complete and continuous compositions, because that is how he composed them.

Those who want CDs of the main themes or 'Best of" soundbite type albums,please look elsewhere to the likes of Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner and John Williams.

I had hoped that Korngold's admirers would have welcomed this historic CD. Apparently not. In future, I will tell John and Bill not to bother.

Or perhaps some visitors to this forum should think before they post such inane criticism.....
fireatheart
Regular visitor

Post by fireatheart » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:46 am

Once again, I must confess to having made an inane comment.

I guess this goes to prove that we're not all equal at the keyboard. :roll:
Last edited by fireatheart on Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:03 am, edited 5 times in total.