Which recording of Die Tote Stadt should I buy?

Reviews,comments,suggestions on Korngold's discography

Moderator: fireatheart

Anna

Which recording of Die Tote Stadt should I buy?

Post by Anna » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:30 pm

Hi! I'm hoping to get some recommendations from you about which recording of Die Tote Stadt to buy...
I heard a small excerpt on The Big Lebowski soundtrack - "Gluck Das Mir Verblieb" performed by Ilona Steingruber, Anton Dermota and the Austrian State Radio Orchestra, courtesy of Cambria Master Recording, and it was the most beautiful thing I've heard!
I haven't heard any Korngold other than this excerpt, so I am just beginning my aquaintance with him as a composer...
I have looked for the recording from Cambria, but I can't find the whole opera with these performers. Does anyone know if there is a complete recording with Ilona Steingruber, Anton Dermota and the Austrian State Radio Orchestra available to buy? Or would you recommend a different recording altogether?!
Many thanks in advance for your insights and your help!
Anna
Rathbone
Regular visitor

Post by Rathbone » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:47 pm

Hi Anna, I don't know, whether a recording of the whole opera it's available. I believe, you can find the song on following disc:

From the Operas by Erich Wolfgang Korngold.
Published by Cambria.

Perhaps- the disc ist deleted- but you could find it to order at any side of amazon!

Another chance: call via internet the orf-audioservice. It's a service from the austrian broadcasting company where you can order recordings on cd from their archive. Maybe they have the whole recording in ther archive. Last year I was very succesful with the recording of "Die stumme Serenade". But attention- its not cheap! I hope, that this informations are helpful.
Rathbone
Regular visitor

Post by Rathbone » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:33 am

I think, you wouldn't go wrong if you choose the recording with Erich Leinsdorf (the first!).
Anna

Post by Anna » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:49 pm

Hi Rathbone,

Thanks everso much for your help! I really appreciate your very thoughtful ideas and insights. I shall look into all of the options that you have suggested...

With kind regards,

Anna
Bernd.O.Rachold
Regular visitor

Post by Bernd.O.Rachold » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:45 pm

Dear Anna & Rathbone, no, the whole opera DTS with Steingruber & Dermota isn´t available because EWK himself produced single arias
of his different operas only when he visited Vienna the 1st time after 2nd WW. In fact there are 2 CAMBRIA-CDs existing with these historic broad-
casts: CD 1032 with arias and CD 1066 with orchestral pieces from his
SNOWMAN, VIOLANTA, MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING, TOMORROW from
"Constant Nymph" and THEME AND VARIATIONS op. 42; all pieces are
supervised by our composer. By the way, the ORF (Viennese Radio) offers CDs "on demand" of the complete broadcastings of VIOLANTA (1949), WALZER AUS WIEN (The Great Waltz, 1950) and THE SILENT SERENADE (1951), produced during the lifetime of EWK, via their audio-service. Regards, Bernd O. Rachold, Korngold-archive.-