Kings Row on FSM?

Reviews,comments,suggestions on Korngold's discography

Moderator: fireatheart

Stefan Schlegel
Regular visitor

Kings Row on FSM?

Post by Stefan Schlegel » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:34 pm

Jessica Duchen has written the following info on her blog:
"Here's one of our regular Korngold updates for this year, the 50th anniversary of the composer's death. My prolific thanks to Korngold devotee and biographer Brendan G Carroll for keeping up the flow of info!

In March, the complete film score of THE SEA HAWK will be released on Marco Polo/Naxos.

In April, the complete sound-track of KING'S ROW is due out on CD, conducted by Korngold himself, from archive studio recordings from Turner/Rhino."

Can Mr. Carroll confirm that the complete KINGS ROW score will be released on FSM? I really wonder how FSM did manage it to make a deal with the Korngold heirs?
brendan g carroll
Regular visitor

KINGS ROW

Post by brendan g carroll » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:20 am

I can indeed confirm this will be issued by FSM although it is probably more likely in May. I am currently writing an extensive booklet for this release which will provide comprehensive information on the film and its score.
Stefan Schlegel
Regular visitor

Post by Stefan Schlegel » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:18 pm

Many thanks for this wonderful confirmation!
Does this mean that we will see more Korngold CD releases from FSM in the near future and maybe even CAPTAIN BLOOD?
tjguitar
Regular visitor

Post by tjguitar » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:42 pm

*bump* Still no release. Been hoping for this whenever FSM brings something out, but its not like my wallet can afford it so I guess its okay. :lol:
fireatheart
Regular visitor

Post by fireatheart » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:18 pm

My guess is it will be released anytime now, but that could be next month or in the fall or... later.

I don't think FSM releases ANY information beforehand on their releases, do they?
tjguitar
Regular visitor

Post by tjguitar » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:42 pm

fireatheart wrote:My guess is it will be released anytime now, but that could be next month or in the fall or... later.

I don't think FSM releases ANY information beforehand on their releases, do they?
Nope. But it was reported at jessicamusic.blogspot.com that it was coming in may I think....as was it speculated by Brendan earlier in thsi thread.
brendan g carroll
Regular visitor

KINGS ROW

Post by brendan g carroll » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:19 pm

Well I can confirm that I completed 13,000 words for the booklet and the CD master was definitely finished. So it must be due soon...!
tjguitar
Regular visitor

Post by tjguitar » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:27 pm

sad. another fsm release but still no korngold.
Stefan Schlegel
Regular visitor

Re: KINGS ROW

Post by Stefan Schlegel » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:35 pm

brendan g carroll wrote:Well I can confirm that I completed 13,000 words for the booklet and the CD master was definitely finished. So it must be due soon...!
A Golden Age double CD is coming from FSM in mid-October. Could this be KINGS ROW?
Will the KINGS ROW score be any longer than the 85 minutes of the already exisiting bootleg double CD or will the content be the same?
brendan g carroll
Regular visitor

Post by brendan g carroll » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:54 pm

I just signed off the cover art so, yes, I think it must be mid OCT.
I had no idea there was a bootleg double. On what label and where can it be found?

KINGS ROW is paired with the complete SEA WOLF by the way. Both have been superbly remastered and sound better than they ever have before...bootlegs or no.

Extensive notes & rare photos/materials from the Warner archives will make this the definitive issue and a "must have". It is being released in a LIMITED edition of 3000 copies only..so buy your copy (s) without fail.
Stefan Schlegel
Regular visitor

Post by Stefan Schlegel » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:09 pm

Thanks for the exciting news, Mr. Carroll!
I am sure that this FSM CD will be the definitive version of KINGS ROW with the best possible sound and a "must have".

The KINGS ROW bootleg has been around for about 3 or 4 years on a strange label called "Collector to Collector". I suppose that this is some sequel label to the old "Soundtrack Library" bootleg label. I got a copy from a friend some time ago, but I think that it is avaialable only on eBay sometimes, but not at normal soundtrack retailers.
This bootleg had a duration of 84:22 and had 34 tracks. Surely it did come from George Korngold's private collection, because sound quality is quite ok.
Also a bootleg of ANTHONY ADVERSE is around with better and much less compressed sound (but a bit more hiss) than on the Tsunami CD. It is also more than 15 minutes longer than the Tsunami CD and also available on two CD(R)s of this "Collector to Collector" label.
Dennis Miller
Regular visitor

On sale NOW

Post by Dennis Miller » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:21 pm

Here we go.... limited to 3000 copies.

Starting today (Nov. 30, 2007):

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=8271

Dennis
fireatheart
Regular visitor

Post by fireatheart » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:11 pm

Can't wait to get it! :D
tjguitar
Regular visitor

Post by tjguitar » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:50 am

Anyone receive it yet?
Dennis Miller
Regular visitor

Received?

Post by Dennis Miller » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:05 pm

Yes!

The booklet contains 26 pages of notes by Brendan G. Carroll and 20 photos.

There are 84+ mins. of music from "King's Row" and 47+ mins. of music from "The Sea Wolf." There are two discs, 28 tracks total.

The sound is excellent and the booklet notes are detailed and comprehensive.

Because of Mr. Carroll's notes I was inspired to purchase the Henry Bellamann novel.

Regards,
Dennis