"ARIA" DVD with 'Lute Song'

Reviews,comments,suggestions on Korngold's discography

Moderator: fireatheart

Dennis Miller
Regular visitor

"ARIA" DVD with 'Lute Song'

Post by Dennis Miller » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:25 pm

I was suprised to find on television the other day a short film of Korngold's "Lute Song" directed by Bruce Beresford featuring the voices of Rene Kollo and Carol Neblett. It is from a movie called "Aria." I will quote this description from the Muze data base:

"Producer Don Boyd brought together 10 of the world’s most revered directors in order to pay homage to the opera with this episodic feature. Each director was asked to choose an aria from an operatic work and create a short film inspired by the emotions and intensity of the music rather than merely re-creating the opera itself. True to form, the result is a bizarre, moving, and broad work of entertainment."

'Lute Song' (1 of the 10 short films in this so-called homage) probably uses the RCA recording (I assume this is so, since Leinsforf is credited as the conductor) and it was filmed in Windsor, England.

If you have seen this short film I would appreciate your opinion and comments. I have my own thoughts but I would like to hold back before I step on any toes.

Greetings from San Francisco!

Dennis Miller
Last edited by Dennis Miller on Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fireatheart
Regular visitor

Post by fireatheart » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:36 pm

I tried to track down the very firs time I heard some Korngold and was aware of it, and ... this film probably is it!

I remember when I first saw "Aria", I was really not very enthusiastic about most of it, but the "Tote Stadt" sequence was one I really enjoyed, even though visually it was quite corny.

But, come on, beside the music, the lady was sooo beautiful! Wasn't she? Wasn't she?

Well, guess who?

Elizabeth Hurley in her very first movie appearance, that's who! :lol:

I saw it again 2 or 3 years ago, and she's pretty much unrecognizable.

Must've had some work done since then... :roll:
Dennis Miller
Regular visitor

Elizabeth Hurley & Carol Neblett

Post by Dennis Miller » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:56 pm

That's amazing. Hurley almost looks like Carol Neblett in the part. The casting of Peter Birch as Paul seems a little odd since he (sadly) doesn't have that much appeal. When he was stripped to the waist in the love scene I laughed. Only the music saved the moment.

In 1973 Neblett did a brief nude scene in New Orleans in Massenet's "Thais." This made international headlines. I suppose using a nude "Hurley-looks-like-Neblett" in 1987 might be a homage to that event. Who knows?

I met Carol Neblett in the lobby of the San Francisco Opera House sometime in the late '70s. Tall and very good looking, I would love to have a video of her as Marietta.

This is where she is today:
http://www.chapman.edu/music/faculty/PT/neblett.asp

Regards,
Dennis Miller