The great Korngold

Reviews,comments,suggestions on Korngold's discography

Moderator: fireatheart

BeethovensQuill

The great Korngold

Post by BeethovensQuill » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:22 pm

I just wanted to introduce myself, having not realised that such a group existed, i thought i was the only one in Britain who knew who Kongold was.

The 1st CD i bought of his music was the Chandos recording of the Sinfonietta and the Sursum Corda, i immediately warmed to the Sinfonietta, the orchestration is ravashing. I have only recently got into the Sursum Corda which again has some spine tingling moments. I have most of the chados CD's apart fromt he 2 film score CD's and the CD with the snowman on it. I actually got a new recording of the Violin concerto this morning with James Ehnes.

I actually had a question for Brendan G Carrol, Will chandos being recording any more of the film music and in particular King's Row? I hope they do as its great music and deserves to be heard.

I also got last week as an introduction to the film scores the Previn recording on DG which im very much enjoying but wondered what the views are on the naxos and chandos recordings of the complete score of the The Sea Hawk? Which would be the preferred recording?

I hope im not repeating anything here but is the score of the Sinfonietta and the Sersum Corda available?

Im also doing my best to convert some people to Korngold's music especially if i know they like Mahler or Richard Strauss.

Next month i intend to get Die Tote Stadt with Leinsdorf conducting, it sounds great on the clips. Would be great to have an up to date digital recording in glorious technicolour sound, hopefully someday.

It would be great to hear from other people about there favourite recordings or favourite works and moments from those works.
Peter Timoney
Regular visitor

Post by Peter Timoney » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:24 pm

Hiya

Always nice to meet a fellow Korngoldian. Things have been a bit quiet on this site for a while now because, probably, the flood of new recordings etc, have somewhat dried up. Most things have now been recorded and only those few stubborn pieces refuse to be recorded or need to have better recordings. At the moment I find youtube a fascinating place to look for Korngold material and Brendan Carroll has put some excellent pieces on there. As for my own Korngold collection, it probably mirrors most people here in being pretty large with at least one of everything recorded. Indeed I think many of the people here know a basket load more titles than I am unaware of. Highlights? There's so many it's impossible to choose. Probably a relatively poor sound quality CD of the original 1940 recording of the Sea Hawk under Korngolds baton. It has the complete battlescene near the start of the film and even with relatively limited sound the intensity of the music and the conducting is so great I find myself almost headbanging to it. Peter
brendan g carroll
Regular visitor

KORNGOLD on CD

Post by brendan g carroll » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:20 pm

Greetings!

First of all, the scores of all of Korngold's major concert works are published by SCHOTT in Germany, and if you wish to acquire any of them, a letter to Sally Groves at Schott's London office (48 Great Marlborough Street) will start things in motion.

I am afraid that, at present, Chandos is not planning any further film score recordings. In fact, no label is, as far as I am aware. However Chandos is about to release a new CD of Korngold's 3 String Quartets (in late September) in performances by the Doric Quartet.

The best recording of the complete SEA HAWK is that from William Stromberg/Moscow SO on NAXOS. Korngold's own soundtrack performances are of course, very special, though as Peter Timoney says, in limited monaural sound - but utterly authentic.

As for Kings Row, you should certainly acquire Charles Gerhardt's splendid extended suite on Varese Sarabande (it is often for sale on Ebay at a bargain price) and recently, the complete music soundtrack with Korngold conducting was restored and issued on Film Score Monthly's own label (available from Screen Archives Entertainment in the USA), coupled with THE SEA WOLF. See the label & link on the home page of this site.

My YOUTUBE channel contains mostly unique archive recordings that are otherwise not available anywhere else. Just put my full name into the search box at www.youtube.com and you'll find it. Enjoy!

best wishes
BRENDANGCARROLL
Rathbone
Regular visitor

Post by Rathbone » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:23 pm

....and no informations about a release date for the german translation

of the Korngold-Biography by Mr. Carroll. Since 2 years everybody can read on the page of the publisher Böhlau/ Vienna: "In Planung".
brendan g carroll
Regular visitor

Post by brendan g carroll » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:43 am

I'm afraid that project is outside of my control. I am not the translator. You must direct enquiries to Boehlau Verlag. I have no new information at all.
Sorry.
Rathbone
Regular visitor

Post by Rathbone » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:27 am

Thank you for the answer. A couple of weeks ago I wrote an E-Mail to boehlau. No answer until today. :? Now I think it would make sense to ask the translator, Mr. Gruber. When I habe infos, I will post it.
jhonsmith

Re: The great Korngold

Post by jhonsmith » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:36 am

hi dear The best recording of the complete SEA HAWK is that from William Stromberg/Moscow SO on NAXOS. Korngold's own soundtrack performances are of course, very special, though as Peter Timoney says, in limited monaural sound - but utterly authentic...!!! :) :wink:
Join online Pass4sure 640-916 exam in first try. Our best quality Avaya training tutorials guide you well for real exam.