Austrian State Radio Orchestra recording

Reviews,comments,suggestions on Korngold's discography

Moderator: fireatheart

Anna

Austrian State Radio Orchestra recording

Post by Anna » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:41 pm

Hello all.
I would LOVE to get hold of a recording of the complete Die Tote Stadt by the Austrian State Radio Orchestra, with Ilona Steingruber and Anton Dermota. Does any one know if such a thing exists? A few years ago I asked the same question, and the answer then was that it was not available. Is this still the case? I have different recordings, but none that I've heard are a patch on that early recording...
Thank you!
Anna
Rathbone
Regular visitor

Post by Rathbone » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:38 pm

Dear Anna, maybe you could try it via ORF-Audioservice. Some years ago I got from there the "die stumme serenade " recording.

Greetings from Dortmund (Town where "Die Stumme Serenade" where performed the first time).
brendan g carroll
Regular visitor

Post by brendan g carroll » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:36 am

There was never a complete Tote Stadt with Steingruber & Dermota. They only recorded the duet alas. The only broadcast of this opera from this period was the 1952 production in Munich which has been issued on CD (a link is on the home page here).
Anna

Re: Austrian State Radio Orchestra recording

Post by Anna » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:27 am

Thanks very much for your replies.

It's good to know that there was never a complete recording with Steingruber & Dermota. I can stop hankering after it now!

Brendan - can you advise me on which recording would be most similar in style to the Austrian State Radio Orchestra recording of the duet? I really like the quirkiness of the arrangement. I have one recording (Wiener Philharmoniker; Orfeo 2004) but it feels very flat in comparison.

Thanks very much again.
timpane

Re: Austrian State Radio Orchestra recording

Post by timpane » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:45 am

The only broadcast of this opera from this period was the 1952 production in Munich which has been issued on CD (a link is on the home page here).