2 DVDs of "die tote Stadt" you may not know of.

Reviews,comments,suggestions on Korngold's discography

Moderator: fireatheart

peter hodgson
Regular visitor

2 DVDs of "die tote Stadt" you may not know of.

Post by peter hodgson » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:40 am

The long-missing 1983 broadcast of "die tote Stadt" from the Deutsche Oper Berlin is currently available from Premiere Opera. It's in 4:3 TV format and mono. Obviously recorded from German TV. The visuals aren't too bad and the sound is acceptable. The production is traditional.

Also available from the same source is the Badische Theater Karlsruhe's production of the opera as given at the Brno National Janacek Theatre in 2006 with a mixed German/Czech cast. The sound and visuals are marginally better but there's fixed Czech sub-titles. The production is imaginative but not traditional.

However at ultra cheapo prices (about €5 per set plus postage) who's complaining. Be warned: delivery is appallingly slow, and might take 8-10 weeks. But you will eventually get them.
korngoldfan
Regular visitor

Re: 2 DVDs of "die tote Stadt" you may not know of.

Post by korngoldfan » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:38 pm

Peter thankfully drew our attention to two DVDs of 'Die tote Stadt' one and a half years ago. I have just found the announcement of 'jpc' that they will issue a (proper) DVP of the legendary Götz-Friedrich-production in Berlin from 1983 (Deutsche Oper) on 21 September this year. Hopefully the quality of the DVD will be better than the previous issues so that Peter, who was present at the first night of this production almost thirty years ago, can 'relive' that particular atmosphere of the opera performance.
By the way, what I have seen from the Sydney production online reminds me of the Berlin production. Can someone out there verify (or falsify) this impression?
Klaus
peter hodgson
Regular visitor

Post by peter hodgson » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:37 am

"Die stumme Serenade" has been recorded and is on the CPO label ref number 777-485-2, conducted by Klaus Simon. If your local CD shop can't get it you can order it online from www.jpc.de ...
peter hodgson
Regular visitor

Post by peter hodgson » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:35 pm

The above item in Russian appears to be an advertisement for coffee!
I suggest it be deleted by the moderator!
peter hodgson
Regular visitor

Post by peter hodgson » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:37 pm

The 1983 tote Stadt DVD recording is now available in a very good quality edition.

More importantly, there's a new DVD out of a marvellous performance at the Finnish National Opera. This is THE one to buy! Fantastic, one of the very best stagings I have ever seen (and I've seen about 15 or so).