Glockenklavier in Heliane

Reviews,comments,suggestions on Korngold's discography

Moderator: fireatheart

Berlioz

Glockenklavier in Heliane

Post by Berlioz » Sat May 07, 2005 3:21 pm

Hi! I'm a Swedish Korngold fan. I wonder if anyone knows exactly where, in the Decca recording of Heliane, the unusual glockenklavier can be heard. It may be that my hearing isn't refined enough to be able to tell a glockenklavier from a celesta, or else I haven't listened attentively enough... Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Raymond CHENG

Post by Raymond CHENG » Fri May 13, 2005 4:35 am

Dear Berlioz, a Korngold fan,
As far as I can find, the glockenklavier is used only once in the entire opera and supposed to be played form back stage but I am sure that it was "brought forward" in the Decca recording. The moment was in Act 3, when all the bells of the city rings (CD3: Track 4: at 3:24) before the Judges come in to witness Heliane's attempt to bring the dead Stranger back to life. You will hear the bells (I think tubular bells are used in the recording and there are more than 10) ring shortly before the glockenklavier comes in at 3:24. The city bells ring at quatrats speed first and then accelerate until the glockenklavier comes in joinging other bells at semi-quavers speed (with both hands playing tremolo like chords) until all the bells ring. Glockenklavier shares the same machanism with a celesta but with larger bells set at an actave lower than celesta. If glockenklavier is to be played alone, it sounds like smaller tubular bells at higher pitch but less piercing than celesta.
I hope the above is helpful to you
Raymond CHENG, another Korngold fan from Hong Kong
Brendan Carroll

Glockenklavier

Post by Brendan Carroll » Thu May 19, 2005 12:49 am

I may add that on this recording, ordinary bells were used as a glockenklavier could not be located! I was present throughout. The instrument is practically obsolete! Sad, but true.
crazyspinto
Regular visitor

Post by crazyspinto » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:16 pm

Very interesting ... now I'll go back and listen to those instruments & entrances again.

Anything "Heliane" is fine by me! Post more, guys!!!