Upcoming CD and DVD releases

Reviews,comments,suggestions on Korngold's discography

Moderator: fireatheart

Opus 12

Upcoming CD and DVD releases

Post by Opus 12 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:47 am

Greetings from California!

With reference to Korngold's music, would it be possible to get a recap of what will be released in the months to come, either on CD or DVD?

More specifically:

(1) Do Chandos and ASV have any plans for releases next year?

(2) Is a recording of "Die stumme Serenade" scheduled for release?

(3) Will the original soundtrack of "Magic Fire" be reissued on CD?

(4) What surprises can we anticipate on the Cambria box set?

(5) Are there any Korngold operas or operettas scheduled for release on DVD?

(6) Is it likely that there will be more films with Korngold's music that could be released on DVD any time soon? Certainly "King's Rows" would be a good candidate.

(7) Do any of the other record labels have any surprises in store for us??

Many, many thanks, Mr. Carroll, for your fine book and your contributions to this forum. Also, many thanks to the host and the moderator for making this forum possible.

Sincerely and with kind regards,

Paul ("Opus 12")
Brendan G Carroll

Questions...

Post by Brendan G Carroll » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:23 pm

Dear Opus 12

To briefly answer you...

(1) Do Chandos and ASV have any plans for releases next year?

ASV, no. ...............Chandos, perhaps...

(2) Is a recording of "Die stumme Serenade" scheduled for release?

I do not believe so. Though I am asked constantly!

(3) Will the original soundtrack of "Magic Fire" be reissued on CD?

Not as far as I know, sadly.

(4) What surprises can we anticipate on the Cambria box set?

Many...TOO many to list here.

However, look forward to very rare 78s making their 1st appearance since their original release, Korngold talking & rehearsing with the orchestra @ Warner Brothers,
Korngold playing piano (much!), rare unissued broadcasts,
some extremely rare 78s featuring Richard Tauber, Lotte Lehmann, Jan Kiepura and others,
rare rehearsal "takes" from the films, private, never before heard, home recordings
...........................and much else besides!In addition, ALL of Korngold's 1951 commercially issued piano performances in digitally remastered sound!

(5) Are there any Korngold operas or operettas scheduled for release on DVD?

No, none!

(6) Is it likely that there will be more films with Korngold's music that could be released on DVD any time soon? Certainly "King's Rows" would be a good candidate.

Ask Ted Turner. I doubt KINGS ROW, but if there is an Edward G Robinson set, we might get SEA WOLF, if a Bette Davis Vol 2, we might get DECEPTION. Start the petition NOW!

(7) Do any of the other record labels have any surprises in store for us??

In as nuch as I am usually involved in any CD project, I must sadly tell you that none are in the "works" for 2006, but there are a few things in the pipeline for 2007. Watch this space....

Many, many thanks, Mr. Carroll, for your fine book and your contributions to this forum. Also, many thanks to the host and the moderator for making this forum possible.

MY PLEASURE!
Dr. John Pennacchi

Post by Dr. John Pennacchi » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:58 pm

My reply to Mr. Carroll's news is simply "How exciting"
Dennis Miller
Regular visitor

Book & CDs: any tantalizing updates?

Post by Dennis Miller » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:56 am

Greetings from San Francisco,

(1) Does Mr. Carroll know when the Cambria collection of rare recordings will be issued? Will it be this year?

also....

(2) Since Mr. Carroll's email of Nov., 2005, are there any updates as to what other Korngold recordings may be scheduled for release in 2006 or 2007?

and finally....

(3) Will Mr. Carroll's "The Last Prodigy" be available through Google as part of their on-line library? Will it ever be republished in any format?

Best regards, and thanks in advance!
Dennis Miller
Rathbone
Regular visitor

Post by Rathbone » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:49 am

-I've got some informations about the upcoming release of a complete digital recording from "The Sea Hawk", conducted by William T. Stromberg. Who knows something about it?
brendan g carroll
Regular visitor

News update

Post by brendan g carroll » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:10 pm

ASV will release a new recording of the SYMPHONIC SERENADE for strings Op 39 with the London Symphony Orch conducted by Simone Pittau, on April 6. (Europe only I think)

There are currently SIX copies of LAST PRODIGY for sale via www.amazon.com at very high prices alas...

There are no current plans to republish in spite of my best efforts.

SEA HAWK was indeed recorded by John Morgan & Wm Stromberg but I do not know when it is planned for release. Given that I will probably be asked to write the booklet [and haven't been commissioned as yet] it is unlikely before summer.
Rathbone
Regular visitor

Post by Rathbone » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:04 pm

News from Tsunami! The upcoming releases are "The Prince and The Pauper" and "Juarez". Earliest releasing date: at the end of april this year.
Jimmy
Regular visitor

Post by Jimmy » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:24 pm

SEA HAWK was indeed recorded by John Morgan & Wm Stromberg but I do not know when it is planned for release. Given that I will probably be asked to write the booklet [and haven't been commissioned as yet] it is unlikely before summer.
Woo! :D
I hope they release it on DVD-Audio like the Robin Hood one. The Sea Hawk would be immence in 5.1 surround.