Piano Arr of "Much Ado About Nothing" Suite

General questions regarding E.W.Korngold

Moderator: fireatheart

jimjennings
Regular visitor

Piano Arr of "Much Ado About Nothing" Suite

Post by jimjennings » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:39 am

QUESTION:
Because I am "in love" with the suite based on "Much Ado About Nothing", I have searched for sheet music and I did find Korngold's own arrangement for piano. However, the arrangement does NOT include the third movement "In the Garden" and that is my favorite part. SO, I am about to arrange it from the CD I have so that I will complete the piano suite. HOWEVER, I wondered if this movement has already been arranged for piano so that I would not have to do it myself. -------- Also, I would like to find a duo-piano arrangement of this suite. Can anyone help me, please? Any chance there is such an arrangement? ------ Thank you for reading this...
Jim Jennings
brendan g carroll
Regular visitor

Much Ado suite

Post by brendan g carroll » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:24 pm

This movement does exist in a piano & violin arrangement which is available from Schott and you may find this easier to work from than a CD. A piano solo version does not exist at all.

Kind regards
BRENDAN CARROLL
jimjennings
Regular visitor

Post by jimjennings » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:23 pm

Thank you for your reply but it raises another question. It occurs to me that Korngold himself thought a solo piano arrangement of the wonderful 3rd movement, "In the Garden", could not do justice to his chamber work. If I'm correct, it also shows that it was one of the composer's favorites as well as mine. ---- Do you have any additional information as to why the lush 3rd movement of the suite was not included with his piano arrangement? Thank you so much!
Jim Jennings
brendan g carroll
Regular visitor

Post by brendan g carroll » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:50 am

to be honest, I ave no clue except that maybe he considered a solo string instrument was an essential part of the music that the piano alone could not replace. In the orchestral version, it is a cello.
jimjennings
Regular visitor

Post by jimjennings » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:18 pm

Yes, you can tell, in the piano arrangement of the other movements that the melody, as written, is, at least in some places, too low for a violin. So, you've answered another question I didn't even think to ask. I think we owe Maestro Andre Previn our thanks for helping this suite to become well-known.
Jim Jennings