Korngold and Musicology

General questions regarding E.W.Korngold

Moderator: fireatheart

tomboyer@msn.com

Korngold and Musicology

Post by tomboyer@msn.com » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:17 pm

Do you know of any Musicology Ph.D. dissertations, existing or in progress, on Korngold? I am a muscologist (MA Smith, thesis published
4/80 MQ on Brahms op33), U. of Chicago, Harvard, now Case Western
Reserve, contemplating finally finishing the doctorate on the subject
of "Korngold's Transistion from Opera to Film," pivoting on my work
on Adorno at Chicago. (looking at Andreas Huyssen's "Adorno in Reverse:
From Hollywood to Richard Wagner--love Adorno's "In Search of Wagner")
German Korngold Friend

Post by German Korngold Friend » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:34 pm

The book "Erich Wolfgang Korngold, Aspekte seines Schaffens", written by Helmut Pöllmann and published by Schott Music Ltd. Mainz maybe is a promotion or habilitation. For further informations have a look on the homepage of Schott Mainz.
Good luck 2005
German Korngold Friend
Brendan Carroll

Korngold Theses

Post by Brendan Carroll » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:31 am

In the bibliography of my book 'The Last Prodigy' you will find an extensive listing of many dissertations on Korngold with University citations. This list is growing annually. However one needs permission from scholars before links to their work can be published, which is why I cannot provide an updated list here without a great deal of work. The approved list in my book however includes dissertations up to 1996.
Raymond CHENG

Diegetic Music in Opera and Film

Post by Raymond CHENG » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:06 pm

You might want to read "Diegetic Music in Opera and Film - A Similarity Between Two Genres of Drama Analysed in Works by Erich Wolfgang Korngold (1897-1957)" by Robbert Van Der Lek published by Rodopi, Amsterdam - Altanta, GA 1991.