Diploma thesis about Korngold and his violin concert

General questions regarding E.W.Korngold

Moderator: fireatheart

Julia Schleicher

Diploma thesis about Korngold and his violin concert

Post by Julia Schleicher » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:31 pm

I`m going to write a sort of diploma thesis about Korngold and his violin concert .I wonder if you could let me know whether he was a typical composer of the epoch "Jugendstil"(This is the German word)and if the violin concert is an example for this epoch?

Thank you very much.

Yours sincerely,

Julia Schleicher,Germany

Re: Diploma thesis about Korngold and his violin concert

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:23 pm

Julia Schleicher wrote:I`m going to write a sort of diploma thesis about Korngold and his violin concert .I wonder if you could let me know whether he was a typical composer of the epoch "Jugendstil"(This is the German word)and if the violin concert is an example for this epoch?

Thank you very much.

Yours sincerely,

Julia Schleicher,Germany
:D
fanofbarnasha

Your question concerning Korngold's violin concerto

Post by fanofbarnasha » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:57 pm

Hello!
Yes, there seems to be a late romantic Vienna "Jugendstil" within the concerto as it was stated by Benjamin Schmid:

Korngolds Violinkonzert

ist, erzählt der Geiger im SN-Gespräch, "mehr und mehr in Mode gekommen". Das freut ihn, der sich für dieses packende Stück seit Jahren kontinuierlich einsetzt. Gehört hat er es vor langem in der legendären Aufnahme von Jascha Heifetz, dem das Werk auch zugeeignet ist. Das prägt, auch wenn ein Interpret heute einen neuen, anderen Zugang finden müsse. "Ich möchte nicht den für den Hollywood-Filmkomponisten Korngold lange geltenden Dolby-Surround-Klangeffekt anwenden. Ich möchte vielmehr den subtilen Zwischentönen, dem Wiener Geist nachspüren, jener großen Sehnsucht nach Wien, die aus diesem Werk permanent spricht", sagt Schmid zu seinem Interpretationsansatz.

Natürlich komme das thematische Material aus dem Genre der Filmmusik. Korngold habe sich dezidiert vertraglich ausbedungen, Themen seiner Filmmusik auch für andere Kompositionen verwenden zu dürfen. Wichtiger aber sei, im "spätromantischen Jugendstil" der Komposition das Fortschrittliche aufzuspüren: in der Harmonik, in der hochkomplexen Rhythmik, im fortwährend drängenden, impulsiven Rubato.
(from "salzburg.com/sn" about a performance)

His songs' ornamentation , however, seems not to have the Jugendstil's features, what is in in a certain contradiction to an article's statement within the archives which calls him a "quintessential Jugendstil figure"
(Commentary Magazine; I don't have access to it but I've found it within my search at "google.de").

I've also found a reference to it on page 599 of Kurt Pahlen's great book
"Die grosse Geschichte der Musik" (in which I miss Arthur Nikisch, however).

I hope that I was able to help you a little bit.
Maybe we can meet someday.

Sincerely
Yours
fanofbarnasha (codename)

P.S.:
For further contacts:
my mobile phone number is: 0171/3714088
my usual number is: 09189/7130 :D :D :D