Deutsch-Judischer Benefit Concert in Los Angeles

General questions regarding E.W.Korngold

Moderator: fireatheart

Robert Wennersten

Deutsch-Judischer Benefit Concert in Los Angeles

Post by Robert Wennersten » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:54 pm

On page 305 of "The Last Prodigy" mention is made of a benefit concert featuring a number of prominent German actors and singers. I'm curious what the source material is for this mention. Does a program or review still exist? Of particular interest to me is the statement that Fritzi Massary took part. Massary was scheduled to appear in a number of benefit programs in Los Angeles; but as far as I can find, she never appeared in any of them. Any input appreciated. Thanks.

robertwennersten@hotmail.com
Alan Lareau

Massary and Hollaender

Post by Alan Lareau » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:28 pm

I too am interested in this, for I am writing a biography of composer Friedrich Hollaender (in US: Frederick Hollander), who supposedly also appeared on this bill. I have never seen a program or document of this event. So would be very happy to hear where more information on this sensational concert would be found! Thanks--Alan Lareau, Univeristy of Wisconsin Oshkosh
lareau@uwosh.edu
Brendan G Carroll

Benefit Concert

Post by Brendan G Carroll » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:39 pm

Gentlemen

The information cited in my book derives from newspaper clippings about this event preserved in the Korngold Estate and now archived in the Library of Congress, Washington.

As I recall, there was one critical review and one advertisement. I cannot tell you if Fritzi Massary actually participated as she was not the focus of my research. Likewise Mr Hollander.

I did not make a copy of every piece of paper in Korngold's archive (there were literally thousands of items) but noted details as and when anything of importance arose, in my research notebooks.

However, I am sure the LOC would help you if you ask for a copy of the relevant clippings.

Good luck!

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:49 pm

Thank you.

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:26 pm

Thanks--will pursue. Excited to know where these documents are!
Bernd.O.Rachold
Regular visitor

Post by Bernd.O.Rachold » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:56 pm

Gentlemen, is this Hollaender-question still of interest? In fact "Der JEWISH CLUB OF 1933,INC, LOS ANGELES" published a preview at
Nov. 15, 1941 with 3 "Künstlerabende" (artists` evenings) encl. Hollaender´s name beside 32 other famous people. The dates:
Nov. 15 & Dec. 27, 1941 and Jan. 25, 1942.
Archived here are the preview and the program of the Nov. 15-evening,
Hollaender is mentioned in the preview but not in the program. Writer Frederic Torberg wrote
that they had to postpone the Dec.-date due to Pearl Harbour and he
did not remember if the 2nd a n d the 3rd ever happened due to
2ndWW and curfew for foreigners.
I have xeroxes of the preview and the 1st concert, but this is no real
proof for Hollaender´s part and of Korngold´s, too, sorry. It remains doubtful like all the other names not mentioned on the Nov. 15-program like Bronnie & Jakob Gimpel, Fritz Kortner, Helene Thimig-Reinhardt, to name only a few.
Regards, Bernd, Korngold-archive.