Biographies by Carroll an Wagner

General questions regarding E.W.Korngold

Moderator: fireatheart

Rathbone
Regular visitor

Biographies by Carroll an Wagner

Post by Rathbone » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:25 pm

I don't know, which Korngold-biography I should start to read.

Who has read both books (by Guy Wagner and Brendan Carroll) and could give a review?
Peter Timoney
Regular visitor

Post by Peter Timoney » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:31 pm

I don't really have much helpful to say to you on this matter. A proper review of both books would take a lot of space and time (which I unfortunately do not have). I am still reading the Wagner book and I am reading it quite slowly because my knowledge of german is not much better than adequate. Also, I read the Carroll book when it first came out (which was a while ago now) and I would have to re read it again to make comparisons. My only advice is, actually, to read both. I find both of very good quality. Sure, most of the timeline of Korngolds life is covered by both books, but they each seem to have their own tone and approach. Obviously if you speak no german the Wagner book will be an impossibility (I suspect you do speak it or you would not be asking), but similarly trying to get hold of the Carroll book now is (i am told) very difficult. The Wagner book is certainly more up to date and has new photographs etc, but the Carroll book has a real stamp of authority. Personally I think the Korngoldian should have both. Having not yet finished the Wagner book it would be unfair to decide which was better. I have enjoyed both.
Sorry for this rather long ramble which neither answers your question nor even gives an insight. It is just nice to be able to write something at all here in a lean period when there seems not much to be writing about and one wonders whether the Korngold crowd has gone into hiding. Good luck in your book searching.

Peter
tjguitar
Regular visitor

Post by tjguitar » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:21 am

Well, we know that MOrgan and Stromberg are releasing their recording of The Prince and the Pauper rather soon....