sheet music for Robin Hood?

General questions regarding E.W.Korngold

Moderator: fireatheart

JOSEPH

THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD SHEET MUSIC

Post by JOSEPH » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:55 pm

The original motion picture score for "The Adventures of Robin Hood" may be available from Warner Bros. Music. Problem is Warner Bros. Music may have been part of the Warner/Elektra/Asylum music group purchased a few months back by Edgar Bronfman and his very rich associates. But check out the CD of the original motion picture score on Naxos Records. I don't have the CD in front of me this moment, but I believe it indicates where Warner Music is located and who is the Warner Music individual that William Stromberg and John Morgan, the producer's of the CD, dealt with. In addition to the full original motion picture score, there is a symphonic suite of the score (containing the Main Title theme and prologue) that may have been published by Warner Brothers Music many many years ago. It was this symphonic suite, rather than the full original motion picture score, that was used for the 1962 Warner Bros. recording entitled "Music by Erich Wolfgang Korngold", used for the Varese Sarabande recording of the movie score and, finally, used by George Korngold and Charles Gearhardt on the RCA recordings of the Robin Hood score. If all else fails, you might be able to obtain from William Stromberg and John Morgan directly a photocopy of the score.
hal
Regular visitor

Post by hal » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:56 am

The Orchestration for the Main Title from 1938 is lost. John Morgan recalls in the liner notes to RH that he reconstructed it from a violin part I believe.

I have read the sketchbook for RH at the Library of Congress and the Main Title sketch is there, but it's three lines only.

The suite does have a variant of the Main Title, but the orchestration is reduced and it's really the cue at the beginning of the Forest Sequence. The Forest cue, in the film, starts with bassoons playing the main theme. But the suite appears to use material from the Main Title, which is thickly orchestrated, then does this segue to the remainder of the Forest cue.

Probably John's reconstruction is the most accurate way to view the Main Title.