Mariettas Lied (Die Tote Stadt)

General questions regarding E.W.Korngold

Moderator: fireatheart

Tony (Guest)

Mariettas Lied (Die Tote Stadt)

Post by Tony (Guest) » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:21 pm

I am only a guest but would be grateful if anyone can help me solve a mystery my wife has?
She and her friend were very taken with Mariettas Lied when it was sung by Renee Fleming some time ago but it seems to be attributed to both Victor Herbert's Naughty Marietta (1910) and Korngold's Die Tote Stadt (1920)

Can anyone clarify this please - it is driving us all mad trying to work it out!

Thank you
Brendan Carroll

Marietta's Lied

Post by Brendan Carroll » Thu May 19, 2005 12:46 am

Marietta's Lied is by Korngold (from the opera Die tote Stadt) and has no place in Victor Herbert's score, sharing only the name. Why is it driving you mad?
Tony (Guest)

Re: Marietta's Lied

Post by Tony (Guest) » Thu May 19, 2005 7:53 pm

Brendan Carroll wrote:Marietta's Lied is by Korngold (from the opera Die tote Stadt) and has no place in Victor Herbert's score, sharing only the name. Why is it driving you mad?
Brendon - Thanks for this. It is driving us mad because the music is the same and Herbert work pre dates Korngold. I also assume that such a possible blatant, public plagarism would obviously not go unchallenged. All of which makes little sense.
Brendan G Carroll

Marietta - naughty or otherwise

Post by Brendan G Carroll » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:14 pm

Dear Tony

I know Herbert's operetta score fairly well & unless I am going mad myself, the music is definitely NOT the same as Korngold's aria. I cannot understand what you can possibly mean by this.