Birthday Party

General questions regarding E.W.Korngold

Moderator: fireatheart

Stefan Schlegel
Regular visitor

Birthday Party

Post by Stefan Schlegel » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:35 pm

Perhaps Mr. Carroll can answer my question:
Is there any opportunity to listen to this famous birthday party at Ray Heindorf's, which to my knowledege took place in 1951, in its complete form? Is there any cassette copy or even CD(R) which one can buy to hear it and above all to hear Korngold himself? Of course I know that a few parts with Korngold playing the piano were on the ROBIN HOOD DVD, but I found it so annoying that the excerpts were that short and were also always interrupted when Korngold began to speak. Why didn't the producers of this DVD put the complete recording on it if it apparently exists? For any Korngold fan who finally wanted to hear Korngold playing AND talking this was just so frustrating and really a missed opportunity. Therefore I woud be grateful if anybody here could be of help how to get this recording even if one has to pay for it.

Stefan
A guest

Korngold

Post by A guest » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:18 pm

Hello --

On my DVD of The Adventures of Robin Hood, the very last piano track from the Heindorf party has Korngold speaking with, presumably, Ray Heindorf. Korngold has a nice, deep voice with a decidedly German accent. Starting to play one of his own compositions from Anthony Adverse and then slipping into playing "One Sunday Morning" because he can't at first remember the piece from Anthony Adverse.
Stefan Schlegel
Regular visitor

Re: Korngold

Post by Stefan Schlegel » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:44 pm

I also have the ROBIN HOOD DVD and so of course know that we can hear Korngold's voice for just a few seconds in this last piano track where he plays ANTHONY ADVERSE. Also in most of the others he is humming along. But the excerpts are so short and you also always notice the sudden cuts which have been made when the piano playing stops. Therefore I think there certainly exists a more complete recording of this birthday party where you can hear Korngold himself talking. As there is probably no other opportunity to hear his voice in any recording, I would be very much interested in a copy of the complete recording of this Ray Heindorf birthday party. Does anyone here know anything more about it?

Stefan
A guest, again

Korngold

Post by A guest, again » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:02 pm

Hello --

It is my understanding that the original tape recording is in the hands of the Korngold family, specifically Leslie Korngold, the son of George Korngold. You might be able to locate Leslie Korngold, or his brother, Gary Korngold, thru telephone information. One or the other may live on Toluca Lake Avenue in North Hollywood, California.
Stefan Schlegel
Regular visitor

Re: Korngold

Post by Stefan Schlegel » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:03 pm

Hello,

thanks very much for the reference. But could it not be that the Korngold archive in Hamburg does also have this tape recording and would perhaps make a copy of it for private purposes? Or won't they copy something like this? Does anyone know?

Stefan
Brendan Carroll

Heindorf Party

Post by Brendan Carroll » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:09 am

I regret to say that the recording as heard on the ROBIN HOOD DVD is the only one extant. After Korngold's death, Ray Heindorf gave it to his widow but because hearing him speak (and often, he was apparently speaking to her, as she was sitting next to the piano!), he edited the tape.

I do not know if the full version exists but if it did, it would be in Ray Heindorf's estate. I'm still looking .....

On a brighter note, the triple CD set of Korngolding playing piano & conducting (due for release on CAMBRIA hopefully this year) does contain some other brief recordings of his speaking voice.
An Anonymous Musician

Re: Heindorf Party

Post by An Anonymous Musician » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:21 pm

Brendan Carroll wrote:I regret to say that the recording as heard on the ROBIN HOOD DVD is the only one extant. After Korngold's death, Ray Heindorf gave it to his widow but because hearing him speak (and often, he was apparently speaking to her, as she was sitting next to the piano!), he edited the tape.

I do not know if the full version exists but if it did, it would be in Ray Heindorf's estate. I'm still looking .....

On a brighter note, the triple CD set of Korngolding playing piano & conducting (due for release on CAMBRIA hopefully this year) does contain some other brief recordings of his speaking voice.
I have read from some sources that there supposedly exist unexpurgated recordings of the scoring sessions of some of the film scores which include Korngold discussing the music with the orchestra in between takes. Is this true? If so, where are these recordings obtainable?
Brendan G Carroll

Post by Brendan G Carroll » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:45 am

It is true and highlights will be appearing on the aforementioned anthology on CAMBRIA.
eleftherios
Site Admin

Re: Birthday Party

Post by eleftherios » Fri May 11, 2012 9:59 pm

HereItIs wrote:Just happened across this on YouTube:
four minutes and thirty seconds of Korngold at the 1951 Heindorf party. Even has applause and laughter at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w2OIGfEp0s

Enjoy!
- William Carroll
Denham Springs, Louisiana, USA

Great finding !!!! :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Thank you