Moderator: fireatheart

Robert howden
Regular visitor

New member Greetings

Post by Robert howden » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:49 pm

Hello

I am a new member to this site.
I have an interest in the life and music both classical and film music of EWK
As i live in Edinburgh Scotland thereis little opportunity to hear any of Korngold's music live.
If there are members out there who live in Scotland or the north of England would they care to get in touch via the site so that we might exchange some news and views about EWK
I have recentlu taken deliverry of the new Turner Cd of Prince and the pauper.It is an excellent recording.
I am hoping to hear from someone.In the meantime happy listening.

Robert Howden Edinburgh Scotland
Peter Timoney
Regular visitor

Post by Peter Timoney » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:07 am

Hi Robert

My name is Peter Timoney and I am a Korngoldian living in Glasgow. As you are probably aware it is almost a Live desert here regarding Korngold. I have heard the violin concerto, the 5 minute suite to the Sea Hawk and about 90 seconds worth of Robin Hood under Carl Davis. Doesn't add up to much really. I recently attended a film festival at the Glasgow Film Theatre which was showing both Captain Blood and The Adventures of Robin Hood, with apparently brand new prints. Wow, I thought. Korngold on the big screen. It was poor. Robin Hood looked dreadful and sounded worse, although the full cinema, half filled with crying children, seemed to enjoy it. If that was a new print I'll never go to the cinema again. Captain Blood looked better, but it was the heavily cut video version they showed, definitely not the longer DVD version which I would have assumed a new print to be. As you can imagine, Korngolds music in the battle sequence was cut to shreds. I did see die tote Stadt in Cologne, but I'm afraid up here in Caledonia I will be surprised to see anything more adventurous. Actually, I did once see the Hebrides Ensemble play the Korngold Sextet, so perhaps I exaggerate a little. If I see anything in Glasgow I will let you know.

Peter
Robert howden
Regular visitor

Hello

Post by Robert howden » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:45 am

Hello Peter

Thanks for your prompt reply and agrree about the musical Scottish desert.There was a concert years ago in PPaisly Abbey when the cello concerto and two movevments of the symphony were played.It was awell attended concert.
Peter i am interested in meeting more members who live in or around the Scottish area.Have you any connections on this point.it might be interesting to meet up with a few folk and exchange views etc What do you think

Robert Howden
Peter Timoney
Regular visitor

Post by Peter Timoney » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:50 am

Dear Robert

I would certainly be happy to meet up at some point in the name of Korngold. Edinburgh is a great city and I visit frequently. Sadly, I would love to tell you about a whole network of Korngoldians here who I know. Sadly I have never met another enthusiast and I while away a few minutes here and there in cyberspace. I have a list of people I have partially converted to the cause, but none of them anorak enough to take it to the level of the people on this web site. There must be others, of course, but they are lurking somewhere in the undergrowth. I hope this is not too discouraging!

peter
Robert howden
Regular visitor

Note

Post by Robert howden » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:42 am

Hello peter

Thanks for your reply and it was as i expected.There are one or two names listed which I have tried to contact but no success a syet.

My phone number is 0131 556 4683 if you want to call for a chat then that's fine or using e-mail also

happy listening

Robert howden
Peter Timoney
Regular visitor

Post by Peter Timoney » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:16 pm

Hi Robert

As I work permanent night shift I am notoriously impossible to get hold of by phone as I'm either at work, trying (mostly unsuccessfully) to sleep by day, taking advantage of my freetime (in my semi permanent state of jetlag) by simply being elsewhere, or blasting Korngold and others while wearing headphones, rendering any other sound (like phones) oblivious. I live in a ubiquitous Glasgow tenement and wish to hear my Korngold loud, but I have no intention of being served the first Korngold related ASBO. The best way to contact me is e-mail. My address is- peter_timoney@yahoo.co.uk I am not sure whether it is a safe thing to show ones e-mail address, but I am such a computerphobe that there is nothing to steal but my computers understandable anxiety! When I am at work I can usually only check my e-mail infrequently. I usually have set work shifts which normally make it easy for planning, but the next two weeks are all over the place.

By the way, check out a number of clips put onto Youtube by Brendan Carroll, mainly a load of original trailers for Korngold movies, plus one or two others. They are excellent quality. I just found them last night and knew nothing about them before.

Peter